Posted By Ahijoy On January 16, 2022
All About Countertop Vinyl Wraps
A countertop is the most distinct and conspicuous feature of any indoor setting. Its beauty and allure are highly noticed and it elevates the aesthetic element of any environment. However, with the passage of time, countertops lose their original sheen and need refurbishing and maintenance. It is not practical to replace the whole set up for a new look. This can be achieved in a more budget friendly manner through the countertop vinyl wraps.
Countertop wraps are films of adhesive vinyl available in various designs and patterns that you can install to transform the fitment, instantly uplifting the interiors. They give you the liberty to bring creativity into play and select the color and texture of your choice. In fact, you can frequently change the look of the worktop to suit your needs, mesmerizing the onlookers.
Benefits Of Countertop Vinyl Wraps
We cannot reiterate enough the benefits of vinyl wraps for countertops. Let’s take a look at how they help in renovating countertops:
- We cannot reiterate enough the benefits of vinyl wraps for countertops. Let’s take a look at how they help in renovating countertops:
- The cherry on the top is the choice you get from a myriad of designs and colors available in these wraps. You can add your own personal touch to your surroundings without worrying about the surface underneath.
- One of the best parts of investing in countertop wraps is that they are pocket-friendly. You can save 50–80% of the cost compared to a new worktop installation. You are not buying a whole new slab of wood, granite or marble. It is just a removable sheet that will reflect the same charm.
- The installation process of the vinyl sheet is a breeze as well. In fact, you can easily do it yourself with a few tools. You do not have to disrupt the setting of the area as well. Just clear the countertop for the installation.
- Countertop wraps are an eco-friendly solution to your renovation needs. These vinyl sheets are perfectly safe to use and do not harm the environment or pose a health hazard in any manner.
- The vinyl sheets for countertops are tough, durable and long lasting. The film is resistant to scratches, stains and other minor damages. If properly taken care of, they can last for years sustaining the same glorious look.
There are certain cons to vinyl wrapping as well, however they can be taken care of with proper maintenance. Vinyl is heat resistant only up to 75°C hence it has to be protected from over-exposure and high temperature. Excessive heat can cause bubbles and eventually damage the wrap. One should also avoid spilling water on the wrap for if it goes underneath, the glue on the wrap will get affected, losing its adhesion to the surface.
Most Popular Countertop Vinyl Wraps
There are many designs and finishes available in countertop vinyl wraps. You can choose the design of your choice may it be marble, granite or the wooden look, and apply it to your counter. Marble countertops have been the trendiest recently. These are available in different marble patterns and colors such as gray, white and black. They give the effect of your countertop being made of actual marble.
Other than that, there is a wide range of wooden textures available as well supplied in a number of colors like oak wood, walnut, ash, tobacco, merlot cherry, birch, pine, teak wood and others. These vinyl films do not only have the respective colors of the mentioned wood but also the same patterns completing the whole look,
There are also vinyl wraps that give an illusion of a hardcore cemented countertop. These also come in different textures and colors. From the lightest white shade to the jet black you will get it all.
The choice of the vinyl wrap, its design and color depends on your preference and the whole color scheme and vibe of the area where the counter is.
How To Install Countertop Vinyl Wrap?
Installing countertop vinyl wrap is very easy. You just have to have the right tools and a pair of helping hands and you will be able to do it yourself. Here’s what you need for the job:
Tools Required For Installation
- A premium quality vinyl wrap with the design and color of your choice.
- Measuring tape.
- A pair of scissors.
- Hairdryer or a heat gun.
Preparing The Countertop
Before installing the vinyl it is imperative that the counter is prepared for it for error-free application and longevity of the wrap. All you have to do is scrub the worktop, making it smooth and dirt free. Wash it with water and soap but make sure to dry it completely before moving ahead.
If there are any indentations or crevices on the surface of your countertop, you will have to fill them first before applying vinyl. The surface should be completely smooth, clean and dry before the application of the vinyl.
Measure The Countertop
The size of your worktop needs to be measured accurately. Use the measuring tape to do so. Once you have the dimensions, cut the wrap at least three inches bigger from all sides for proper coverage with a pair of scissors. The vinyl also has to be folded underneath the counter making the grip stronger. Make sure that the cut is straight.
Apply The Vinyl Wrap
Vinyl wraps have an adhesive backing. Carefully peel it off a little. Do not remove it completely. Set the sheet at one corner and smooth it out with a squeegee. Peel off the backing a little at a time and keep smoothing the vinyl on the top.
Use a squeegee to remove the creases and bubbles as you go on with the installation. Once you have installed the vinyl and you still see bubbles, prick them with a weeding pen or a pin and press that area down to make it firm.
Use a hairdryer at the edges to soften them and pull them downwards. If you have a lot of extra vinyl, cut it off using scissors or a knife and paste the remaining underneath the counter from the edges.
Once all is done, do not use the worktop for at least 24 hours to allow the vinyl to cure and make its adhesion stronger and worthwhile.
How To Maintain Countertop Wraps
Countertop vinyl wraps are easy to take care of. Just follow these simple steps:
- Keeping the vinyl wrap clean is of utmost importance. Do it regularly using a soft, damp cloth and a mild detergent. A microfiber cloth is the best. Rub it very gently. Do not use abrasive cleaners and avoid scrubbing too hard.
- Once you have cleaned with a damp cloth, dry the vinyl wrap thoroughly. You do not want water spots or streaks on it.
- If your counter is near the spot which receives ample sunlight, it will damage the vinyl. High temperature and direct sunlight has to be avoided as this will weaken the adhesive and cause the wrap to fade.
- Keep sharp objects away from the vinyl wrap. You do not want scratches on it.
- Lastly, if you see any damage, creases or bubbles, consult a professional for repair. These have to be taken care of immediately or the whole look will be compromised.
If you will maintain the countertop wrap keeping these few points in mind, it will last for a long time looking great.
Frequently Asked Questions
A convenient way to invigorate the interiors is to use countertop vinyl wraps. They are available in a myriad of designs and colors to choose from. They are self-adhesive and their process of application is very easy. You just have to cut the vinyl a little bigger than the dimensions measured, remove the paper backing and paste the sheet over your countertop. It is as simple as that.